Thursday, March 10, 2011

Work Hard, Play Hard

This has always been my philosophy.  Funny how my play is mirroring my work.

After 22 years, I picked up a tennis racquet again last summer. I wasn't sure how it would go, because, I wasn't even so fabulous the last time I played (in high school).  I took lessons, practiced and set a goal for myself...to achieve a certain level by the end of the summer.  I did it!  And then, got crazier and joined a team for winter play.  I kept practicing and taking lessons and hey, I was getting better.  The Captain asked me to play first doubles.  Wow, really?

First match, we win!  Second, we were slaughtered.  It was painful.  I wanted to cry.  (There were tears during one practice game, actually)  Who did I think I was thinking I could play tennis?  I was never the athletic type.  I should just go back to crafting and be done with it.  Nope.  Kept practicing and playing and realigned my thinking.  Played again in a match yesterday and we won.  Played at practice today, and didn't do very well.  Must keep practicing and learning to move forward!  It's a lifetime sport, right?

Anyhow, I share this story because it has hit me recently Tennis is like Photography.  I have studied and practiced and taken a zillion lessons (seminars, classes, etc).  Some days I feel like the best Photographer on the planet (well, not really, just making a point) and the next day, I am frustrated.  But, I know this is my path and I continue on learning, practicing and realigning my goals.

Professional Photographers aren't born when they are handed a nice camera.  They grow from the time invested in the craft and in learning...and the learning never stops.

Life can be like a roller coaster or like a merry go round.  I have always chosen the roller coaster.  It's a wild ride, but worth at the end when you get off and are so exhilarated, you can't wait to get on again!

Are you a roller coaster lifer or a merry go round?
Life, here it is, catch it! :)  He may only get snow, but he's going for it.  There just might be a treat in it. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post Debbie! I absolutely agree with you. I've heard it said that it takes a person 10 years or 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert at something. I think a true expert realizes there is always more to learn and we should never stop practicing.

    ReplyDelete

Followers